“if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught in Him, just as truth is in Jesus, that, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit, and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth. Therefore, laying aside falsehood, SPEAK TRUTH EACH ONE of you WITH HIS NEIGHBOR, for we are members of one another.”
God has called us all unto Himself. This calling came with a great amount of joy as well as great amount of responsibility on our part. Christ never expected us to be perfect in this life. He did, however, expect us to try hard and never give up. I want to ask you today are you still trying to seek Christ with all your heart, all your mind, and all your strength?
Brothers and sisters, this passage reminds us that if we have heard and been taught by God, which simply means if we have any kind of Biblical knowledge then that knowledge is truth in the name of God! So, the responsibility found in this passage is that we do 5 things with this knowledge.
- Lay aside our old self: You are a new creation in Christ. Stop acting like the old way was better. Remember this old way only leads to death without hope, without peace, and without love.
- Renew your mind: This is a constant process not to be done once and never again. Just as you are renewed each day with a good night’s sleep, renew your mind by living in God’s holy word daily. If not we can become rusty, bored, or stagnate in our walk with God.
- Put on the NEW self: Just as you put on new cloths daily, put on your new self and SHINE. That’s what Christ intended for you to do. SHINE with the righteousness He has clothed you in. Stop putting on the worldly cloths, they will never make you look like eternity hangs in the balance!
- Lay aside falsehoods: Just like putting on a new self, you can’t do that if you keep putting on old dirty cloths that were never meant to display Christ in you. If you keep letting the world distract you then you can’t enjoy what God is trying to do through you. So, in plain terms, STOP IT. Lol
- Speak truth: Just as plants need water every day, so we must be poured into each day as well. If you speak truth into each other you will receive the blessing and be a blessing. Don’t dry up and expect to do great things. Go and get your self watered, and help water others! Be a blessing and you will in turn receive many of them yourself! Pray for each other, share God’s word with each other, fill each other up with God and not the world.
Just as the theme of this day, week, month, or even the rest of this year states, don’t wait to put these practices into place. God never intended for you to wait until the time was right to lives as you were called to live. Go out and make today the best day you can, and remember ETERNITY HANGS IN THE BALANCE. Go in God’s peace!